A mini tummy tuck, also known as a limited abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure that removes excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen. Patients struggling with aesthetic changes brought on by aging, weight changes, or pregnancy will see significant changes with an adapted version of a full tummy tuck. The procedure addresses mild to moderate skin sagging under the navel to create a taut, smoothed stomach. 
A consultation with Dr. Joseph Michaels at Michaels Aesthetic & Reconstructive Surgery in Rockville, MD or Fairfax, MD is the first step to restoring an optimal appearance to your abdomen. To reach us directly, and to book a personal consultation, call Rockville at 301-468-5991, or Fairfax, VA at 703-957-8610 or complete our simple online form for more information.
- 1 Before & After Photos
- 2 About a Mini Tummy Tuck
- 3 Benefits
- 4 Candidates
- 5 Personal Consultation with Dr. Michaels
- 6 Preparation
- 7 Mini Tummy Tuck Procedure
- 8 Recovery
- 9 Results
- 10 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 11 Cost of a Mini Tummy Tuck in Rockville, MD
- 12 FAQ
- 13 References
Before & After Photos
About a Mini Tummy Tuck
The abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, has helped countless people reclaim confidence by reducing excess skin and fat from their lower midsection. Today’s tummy tuck techniques have been carefully refined and can target specific areas of the abdomen in the least invasive ways, with smaller incisions than ever before.
The mini-abdominoplasty is a shortened procedure introduced by Dr. Richard Greminger and Dr. Tolbert Wilkinson in 1988. This “limited” version of the abdominoplasty was reliable and effective for moderate skin laxity and other concerns affecting the lower abdomen.  Since then, this procedure has proved to be highly successful for patients who don’t have enough redundant skin to warrant a full abdominoplasty, but still stand to benefit from a tighter lower midsection. The beauty of a mini tuck is that those who want a firmer lower abdomen can get a still tummy tuck procedure, albeit on a smaller scale. This technique targets a small portion of the lower abdomen, removes excess skin, preserves the placement of the belly button, and pulls the skin taut to reveal a striking new aesthetic.
The procedure may concentrate on a smaller area than a standard tummy tuck, but provides huge benefits.
Patients can look forward to:
- A smoother, tighter abdominal profile
- An outpatient procedure without multiple incisions
- A shorter incision below the belly button
- A procedure that leaves the belly button intact
- Scars easily concealed in a bathing suit or undergarments
- Faster recovery than a full tummy tuck
A mini tummy tuck helps patients achieve their desired body aesthetic. The procedure is best suited to patients for whom dieting and exercise have not achieved their desired results. Ideal mini TT candidates are healthy individuals who have mild to moderate loose skin beneath their belly button. Candidates interested in a mini tummy tuck should:
- Be physically healthy without significant medical problems
- Desire to correct skin elasticity issues caused by pregnancy or weight changes
- Be at their ideal weight
- Be finished with pregnancy and childbirth
- Have realistic expectations of what a mini tuck can do for them
To better understand whether a mini tummy tuck is suitable for you, book a one-on-one in-person appointment. Or, feel free to schedule a virtual consultation with Dr. Michaels if you do not live in the Metro Washington DC area.
Personal Consultation with Dr. Michaels
Dr. Michaels will listen to what you have in mind for your ideal abdominal contour and answer questions about this surgical procedure. His vast knowledge and experience in plastic and reconstructive surgery will allow him to achieve a natural-looking, more alluring figure.
At your consultation, Dr. Michaels will examine the skin elasticity of your lower abdomen. He will explain the differences between the mini tummy tuck and the standard and extended versions. His expertise in abdominoplasties will help you determine which is suitable for your unique goals. Please feel free to use this time to ask any questions you may have about your procedure. After we’ve found the right approach for you, we’ll show you step by step how a mini tummy tuck can provide an optimized abdominal profile. Finally, we’ll give you your personalized list of pre-surgical items to complete before your appointment.
Schedule your appointment with Dr. Michaels to talk about the benefits of a limited incision abdominoplasty.
- If you currently smoke, stop in the weeks leading up to your surgery and for the duration of your recovery. Doing so will ensure proper blood flow and facilitate a faster healing response.
- Stop taking certain medications such as aspirin and other anti-inflammatory medicines. Usage may increase bleeding during the procedure.
- Pick up your prescriptions ordered by Dr. Michaels. Taking them as directed will ensure your recovery goes as planned.
- Make arrangements to have someone pick you up from our office. The effects of anesthesia need time to subside.
- Follow all provided instructions diligently.
Mini Tummy Tuck Procedure
Before he starts, the appropriate anesthesia will be administered so you can relax comfortably for the duration of the procedure. Next, Dr. Michaels will make an incision just above the pubic line to access the fatty tissue beneath. Then, where necessary, he will gently remove fat from below the belly button using a thin cannula. After this, Dr. Michaels will re-drape the skin to the correct tension, remove any redundant skin, and suture the incision closed. Depending on your individual concerns, your mini tuck should be completed within 1-2 hours.
Recovery from a mini tummy tuck is straightforward, provided you follow Dr. Michaels’ post-surgery instructions. Patients may feel tenderness and experience swelling and bruising for the first two weeks. The medications prescribed by Dr. Michaels will help with any discomfort and avoid the risk of infection during your recovery. Also, a compression garment may be worn to control swelling and protect the area.
Within two weeks, you can resume light activities and work. After that, allow for 6-8 weeks to engage in more strenuous activities.
After a successful recovery, you’ll notice a slimmer, tauter lower abdomen. Having a flatter stomach means not having to “suck it in” or wear baggy clothing to cover up. Best of all, the results from the surgery are long-lasting!
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
We believe in an individualized approach to plastic surgery that will bring out your natural beauty. Dr. Michaels may also recommend the following surgeries at your consultation:
- Abdominoplasty: A standard tummy tuck substantially improves the entire abdominal profile. It requires an incision made in the pubic region and around the belly button so that Dr. Michaels can strengthen and tighten the rectus abdominis muscles. Excess skin and fat will also be removed and skin redraped to achieve a flatter, better-contoured stomach at the end of the procedure.
- Extended Abdominoplasty: The extended tummy tuck method can improve the contours of many parts of the abdomen by tightening the deeper muscle fascia. This treatment removes excess skin and fat from the entirety of the midsection, and is therefore a longer surgery. Most extended abdominoplasty surgeries last between 3-5 hours.
- Liposuction: Patients looking for extra help to remove unwanted fat can easily do so with a simple liposuction procedure. The procedure involves making a small incision in the abdomen, through which, a small cannula is inserted and passed through the fatty tissue to liquify it and suction it away. A gentle suction will remove unwanted fat from the body, revealing a shapelier physique.
Cost of a Mini Tummy Tuck in Rockville, MD
The cost of your mini tummy tuck will depend on your unique circumstances. Your consultation will discuss financial matters and resources to fund your procedure. Call Rockville, MD at (301) 468-5991 or Fairfax,VA at Fairfax, VA at (703) 957-8610 to get an estimated quote for a mini tummy tuck.
How do I know if I am a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck?
Usually, mini tummy tuck patients are at a stable weight at the time of surgery and do not have significant medical conditions that conflict with treatment. As well as post-pregnancy candidates, men and women who have loose skin and excess fat in the lower abdomen are also great candidates.
What is the difference between a mini tummy tuck and a full tummy tuck?
A mini tummy tuck involves a small incision made in the pubic line and addresses mild to moderate sagging. A full or traditional tummy tuck involves making a longer incision running hip to hip to remove excess tissue and fix separated abdominal muscles.
Will getting pregnant again affect my mini tummy tuck?
A mini tummy tuck is recommended for patients who are not planning on becoming pregnant again. Subsequent pregnancies after a mini tummy tuck can reverse the results of this procedure.
- Branford, O. (2018). Abdominoplasty procedure. Journal of Aesthetic Nursing, 7(10), 542–545. https://doi.org/10.12968/joan.2018.7.10.542
- Hoyos, A. E., Perez, M. E., & Castillo, L. (2013). Dynamic Definition Mini-Lipoabdominoplasty Combining Multilayer Liposculpture, Fat Grafting, and Muscular Plication. Aesthetic Surgery Journal, 33(4), 545–560. https://doi.org/10.1177/1090820×13484493
- Mast, B. A., & Hurwitz, D. J. (1996). Mini-abdominoplasty. Operative Techniques in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 3(1), 38–41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1071-0949(96)80049-7