An eyelift for men is a transformative surgical treatment that gives males a refreshed appearance to the eyes. Unfortunately, aging, lifestyle, and genetics can cause eyelid skin to sag. As the skin’s integrity becomes compromised and causes unintentional facial expressions and an older appearance. Depending on the severity of the condition, it can even impact your field of vision. An eyelid lift makes concealable incisions within the natural creases of the eyelid to remove excess tissue and fat and tighten muscles.  By the end of the surgery, you can achieve a fresh, natural-looking appearance while preserving your masculine features.
Men concerned with this condition should contact Dr. Joseph Michaels for an eyelid lift consultation. He understands there are unique considerations when addressing the male facial anatomy. The informative talk will uncover the benefits you stand to gain from the customized treatment. He and his excellent staff have helped countless patients make positive changes to their lives and self-confidence. Reach out to any one of our offices to schedule a meeting in the Baltimore/Washington area by calling:
- Rockville, MD (301) 468-5991
- Fairfax, VA (703) 957-8610
- 1 About Eyelid Lift
- 2 Benefits
- 3 Candidates
- 4 Personal Consultation with Dr. Michaels
- 5 Preparation
- 6 Procedure
- 7 Recovery and Results
- 8 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 9 Cost of an Eyelid Lift
- 10 FAQ
- 11 References
About Eyelid Lift
Today, men from all walks of life are turning to plastic surgery to transform into a confident, younger version of themselves. According to 2020 statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, men accounted for over 289,000  of all plastic surgeries performed in the U.S. It is a remarkable statistic because more men are embracing the idea of getting “work done.” In a world where beauty is highly idolized, many Western cultures have destigmatized getting plastic surgery for both men and women. Many people today are even happy to show off their new, amazing look on social media, talk shows, and reality TV.
The passage of time bestows knowledge, stability, and maturity. Unfortunately, it also changes our bodies. As we get older, the skin thins, becomes less flexible, muscle tone decreases, and collagen production drops. Hence, wrinkles form, and skin starts to droop which causes a listless, less effervescent appearance. This presents a problem for men who feel they should look their best in any situation. An eyelid lift or blepharoplasty is an excellent solution for men wanting to liven up their appearance. It’s a time-tested way to remove excess skin and improve vision problems that dates back to the 10th and 11th centuries.  Now, the treatment has evolved to address cosmetic and aesthetic concerns just in a few hours.
Men seeking eyelid surgery will undoubtedly see a substantial difference. The next time you look in the mirror, you will see a vast reduction in wrinkles and sagging skin around the eyes.
MEN IN THE WASHINGTON D.C. AREA CAN EXPECT:
- Long-lasting results of a rejuvenated, manly appearance
- A reduction in irritation, wrinkles, and puffiness in the eyes
- Compliments instead of questions about your mood or facial expressions
- Unobstructed field of vision
- More comfortable in professional and personal situations
Healthy men wanting to eliminate excess and sagging skin that makes them appear tired or upset are eligible for surgery. Moreover, patients having vision problems because of this condition are encouraged to seek treatment. A meeting with Dr. Michaels will evaluate your case to see if you stand to benefit from surgery. In your conversation, he’ll discuss how an eyelid lift is for:
- Males without underlying eye problems such as glaucoma or cataracts
- Patients looking to remove extra skin in the upper, lower, or both eyelids
- Patients who are strongly interested in making corrections with surgery
- Open-minded patients who have positive expectations
Personal Consultation with Dr. Michaels
Dr. Joseph Michaels will discuss your specific reasons for surgery at your consultation. After gathering your health information, he’ll thoroughly examine your unique anatomy around the eyes. Once he evaluates your entire periorbital region (the eyes, eyebrows, and cheeks), he’ll decide if an eyelid lift is for you and if you’d be great for other treatments, such as a brow lift or facelift. By the end of the meeting, Dr. Michaels will review the surgical process with you, one step at a time. We’ll go over the surgery, prepare for the procedure, and detail the recovery process. If this sounds good to you, then he’ll direct you to our front desk staff, who will coordinate logistics. They will be your point of contact, so if you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to give them a call.
Patients can call (301) 468-5991 (Rockville, MD) or (703) 957-8610 (Fairfax, VA) to schedule an initial appointment. Or you can also book a consultation online.
The office provided you with a list of pre-surgical instructions at your consultation. Your experience will go much smoother once these steps are completed. They include:
- Take a break from smoking: Tobacco and products like it restrict blood flow and hamper the healing process.
- Pick up recovery medications: Head over to your preferred drug store and pick up the medications ordered by the office.
- Moderate your medication: Medications from your doctor or over-the-counter medications may need to be stopped because they can cause bleeding.
- Choose a travel buddy: Designate a close friend, significant other, or family member to take you home once you’re OK’d to be released.
- Have a conversation with your boss: Arrange to take 1-2 weeks to rest and recover from surgery.
Depending on the severity of your condition, you may be given either general or local anesthesia. Both have a unique advantage over the other, but ultimately they are administered to ensure your comfort level is maximized. The following steps will depend on what was recommended by Dr. Michaels. Here’s what your surgery may look like:
LOWER EYE LIFT
Dr. Michaels will first make an incision on the lower lid just under the lower eyelash. Next, excess fat and skin are removed from the area.  Once the ideal aesthetic is achieved, incisions are closed with sutures.
UPPER EYELID LIFT
Patients opting for an upper eyelid lift will have incisions on the upper eyelid crease. After that the removal of excess fat and strengthen muscles will commence.  At the end of the surgery, incisions are closed with sutures.
Recovery and Results
As with any surgical treatment, it is imperative to carefully follow the aftercare advice from our medical staff for a swift, standard recovery. In the first two weeks, you will feel mild bruising and swelling, sensitivity to light, blurred vision, and puffiness around the eyes. You can manage the pain by taking the proper medication, applying lubricating ointment, and placing a cold compress on the eye. Activities that don’t require too much physical exertion can continue within seven days; strenuous activities can resume in two weeks. During this period, refrain from putting on contact lenses and wear eyeglasses. For six weeks, keep your contact with the sun to a minimum and wear protective sunglasses.
Once the swelling goes away, you will see massive changes. Our patients will now express a more congenial, alert look that commands positive attention from friends, family, and colleagues. Dr. Michaels is here to help you get a new lease on life. See from the vast array of comments on the kind of results you can expect.
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
At your initial meeting, we may discuss other facial contouring treatments that can be performed simultaneously with your treatment. They include:
Men wanting to remove the frown lines that make them appear tired or upset can turn to a brow lift to create a livelier, refreshed appearance. The treatment merely repositions the skin and muscle structure underneath to reduce lines and wrinkles.
A facelift gives men a long-lasting opportunity to keep their signature youthful appearance without wrinkles. This treatment performed by Dr. Michaels is designed to make revisions to the face, chin, and jawline by pulling the skin tight, strengthening facial and neck muscles, and removing excess skin to create a more refined, rugged profile.
Cost of an Eyelid Lift
Most insurance companies do not fund eyelid lifts unless it’s negatively impacting your health. Michaels Aesthetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery is happy to help guide you through your unique financial circumstances and discuss several funding options at your disposal. Call us at (301) 468-5991 (Rockville, MD) or (703) 957-9610 (Fairfax, VA) to get a preliminary quote.
CAN AN EYELID LIFT SURGERY BE COMBINED WITH PROCEDURES?
Your treatment can be paired with other non-surgical and surgical body contouring treatments. Again, a thorough consultation is a great way to understand which treatment will work to your benefit.
- Bhattacharjee, K., Misra, D., & Deori, N. (2017). Updates on upper eyelid blepharoplasty. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, 65(7), 551. https://doi.org/10.4103/ijo.ijo_540_17
- Drolet, B. C., & Sullivan, P. K. (2014). Evidence-Based Medicine. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 133(5), 1195–1205. https://doi.org/10.1097/prs.0000000000000087
- Lyon, D. B. (2010). Upper Blepharoplasty and Brow Lift: State of the Art. Missouri Medicine, 107(6), 383–390. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6188243/
- PLASTIC SURGERY STATISTICS REPORT 2020. (2020). American Society of Plastic Surgeons. https://www.plasticsurgery.org/documents/News/Statistics/2020/plastic-surgery-statistics-full-report-2020.pdf